Guidelines for Setting
Up Internet Passwords
Don’t underestimate the importance of a good password since it is your first-line of defense against unauthorized use of your computer. To assist you in creating a more secure password, Cablevision of Marion County has established these standards:
passwords should be between 8 and 24 characters long
passwords should include at least one letter and one number
passwords may include special characters (!@#$%^&*())
passwords are case sensitive, so “SaMpLe4!” is different than “sample4!”.
passwords should not include any form of the word “password.”
passwords should not include any form of your User ID.
passwords should not be overly simple, i.e.,
Here are some helpful guidelines:
1. Never spell words as they appear in the dictionary.
2. Pick something important to you but not obvious to others.
3. Don’t use family or pet names.
4. Use a combination of numbers and symbols.
5. Memorize your password.
6. If you write it down, don’t post it to your computer or place it nearby.
7. Change your password at least every 60 days.